Thursday, October 2, 2008

Finch Metal



Generally speaking, the majority of the custom work that I do currently is for wedding invitations and other social stationary.  One of my favorite other types of custom work to do though is business stationary.  I often think that with all of the "get way more business cards than you would ever need for $19.95" offers out there on the internet, that most people don't really consider letterpress or custom printing when it comes to ordering paper products for their businesses.  On the one hand, I find this a little disappointing that so many people are willing to sacrifice true quality and uniqueness for super-savings, but on the other hand it makes it really exciting when you do find a business (or a business finds you) that wants to do something really special, unique and high-quality for their paper products.  

Jill Antonishak of Finch Metal Jewelry Studio in Washington D.C. recently contacted me about creating some unique, high-quality paper products for her business.  Jill creates a line of awesome, whimsical and unique sterling silver jewelry.  Those who know me know that I don't ever really wear a lot of jewelry, but despite that I really like Jill's work and may have to order a piece or two for myself.  Check out this awesome kite necklace:


She also has some other really playful and whimsical designs including a jack, pinwheels and a paper airplane!

Besides making really beautiful jewelry, I also like Jill's work because she tries to be as environmentally conscious as possible, which I feel is something we have in common.  Twin Ravens Press generally buys only 100% cotton rag (tree free!) paper or paper that has been recycled and contains at least 30% post-consumer content.  I also recycle all of my misprints and off-cuts by donating them to paper-making students at the University of Oregon (my Alma mater).  I am also proud to be taking advantage of  the new Boxcar Press Photopolymer Plate Recycling Program (BPPPPRP, for short).  When I'm not printing from antique lead type I buy all of my photopolymer from Boxcar.  They are an awesome company to work with and are really proud of their sustainable practices.  I mean they plant a tree for every order anyone makes over $100... how cool is that?!?  I'm proud to do business with them and I like to attempt to do my part sustainability-wise, because honestly, printing isn't historically the most environmentally friendly industry ever.  

Anyway, back to Jill: she uses recycled and reclaimed silver in the creation of her work, and she also strives to minimize the environmental impact of her business and promote sustainability by using recyclable recycled packaging and other materials as much as possible.   She also donates part of her proceeds to various charities that help to alleviate poverty and focus on getting resources and services to those in need.   Way to go, Jill!

When I started working on her business products, she already had her business logo from another designer, so creating designs for Jill was all about incorporating her existing logo design into a beautiful and functional business card that could be printed on the letterpress.  This is what we came up with:



Aren't they pretty?  Her logo's colors were a lighter chestnut brown and a light sky blue.  She also wanted some folding cards  to send out to customers, clients and galleries using a variation of her logo that she also uses as her avatar on her website. Both the business cards and folding cards were printed on Crane Lettra's 100% cotton Pearl Lettra letterpress paper and the folding cards come with some pretty 30% post-consumer recycled sky blue envelopes. Check them out:

Thanks so much Jill for your business and for making such awesome work!  All the best!

No comments: