Friday, January 8, 2010

Bummer.



Hi all! If you've been following this blog for a little bit, you may have noticed an extreme lack of blogging this week. I'm so sorry! I totally didn't intentionally leave you hanging. So, where have I been, you ask?

I had a little accident last Sunday. I've tried to tell all of my clients this personally, but I know I've missed at least a few of you, so if you're waiting on a print job, or on design work this is why.

Last Sunday, my good friend Hollie and I decided to go hiking on Spencer's Butte, which is a really nice hike that's not too far of a drive from where I live in Eugene. We left the house in the afternoon and hiked all the way to the top of the Butte. January in Eugene is often really rainy and grey outside, but last Sunday it was really nice, fairly warm, sunny for most of the day, and not raining out - the perfect day for a hike. The photo at the very top and these below, are some pictures I took with my iPhone from the top of the Butte.




I feel so lucky to live in such a pretty place, where I can hike and see this not far from my home. Here is Hollie at the top:


And she and I together (sorry that we're not completely in the frame - taking photos of yourself with the iPhone isn't the easiest thing ever). If you don't know me personally, but are reading this blog, if you ever wondered what I look like, I'm the one on the right. We were having fun!



We hung out up there for a little while, then decided to hike back down. As you can see from the photos, it wasn't raining that day, but it had rained the night before. On the way back down the trail, I was talking and not paying the closest attention and I stepped wrong on a wet, muddy, mossy log and slipped. I tumbled to the ground and heard a snap, like a dry tree branch breaking as I fell. At first I thought I was okay, but when I went to stand up, my right leg wouldn't bear weight.

Hollie, a very nice stranger named Katie who we ran into on the trail, and a couple of other guys, whom I didn't get the names of, as well as my partner, Alex (who had rushed up from our house when I called), took turns carrying me down the hill and back to the car the rest of the way. A trip to Urgent Care and a few x-rays later, showed that my leg was broken about 2-2.5 inches above the ankle. Lame. They put me in a cast, and I have crutches, and will have them for the next 5-6 weeks, or longer. Here's what I looked like shortly after I got home, Sunday night.


I wasn't able to really get a good look at my leg until earlier this morning, but I took the cast off briefly and here's what it looks like (if photos of nasty-looking injuries, make you squeamish, look away now).




As you can see, six days later, it's still really swollen and very bruised. It is feeling better though, somewhat.

This post isn't meant to be a pity post in the least, and if you are currently working with me, or have recently e-mailed requesting a quote or more information about my services, trust me, I fully intend to get back to you in a timely manner. As letterpress printing requires being on your feet quite a bit, as well as some moderate lifting, needless to say, the production side of TRP has been a little slow this week. I really appreciate all of your patience and well wishes, and if this is news to you - I'm so sorry I didn't tell you first in person. I also want to send a HUGE thank you out to my wonderful friends and volunteers who have come by this week and helped me finish printing a couple of jobs that needed to go out, as well as a big thanks to those who just came by to say hi - you all mean the world to me.

On a happier note, I was recently interviewed by the lovely S. Jane of S. Jane Craft here in Eugene. Sarah is a good friend and makes really awesome stuff and is featuring a different artist every Monday on her blog. If you'd like to read my interview to find out more about me and Twin Ravens Press, check it out here. Thanks Sarah!

There will be much prettier pictures of stationery and business cards soon! Thanks for your understanding!

7 comments:

Boxcar said...

That's terrible--so sorry to hear that it cuts into both your printing and your hiking plans. Un-awesome indeed. Do you hike with Leki poles? I know they look funny but they've kept me from ending up in your situation several times on the trail. They save a lot of wear and tear on your joints and also help in slippery terrain. Anyway, best of luck getting back to the printshop and the trails! We'll be thinking of you up in Syracuse. -Harold

Kristin said...

Hi Harold - thanks so much for reaching out and for the well wishes. It was nice to talk to you on the phone this morning and I am definitely going to check out those Leki poles, once I'm back up on my feet. You guys are the best! Take care!

Missus D said...

Ouch! So sorry it happened! I hope your foot heals soon.

Take care and get well coon!!

tom s said...

the foot looks really painful. rest rest rest. i'm going to get some hiking poles too.
the design links you list on your blog are fantastic. seeing all these design pieces is intoxicating-so beautifully done. i've never been a blog reader but now i'm addicted. can't wait to discover more artist's blogs.

Kristin said...

Hi Tom - thanks for the well wishes and I'm glad you're enjoying our blog and the links! Thanks for saying hi!

cHill Weddings, LLC said...

OMG! I just read this post. I'm so glad you ended up okay, but that's awful. Your foot/ankle looks painful, but I'm sure you were such a trooper. Hoping you're all better now!

Kristin said...

Hi Christina - thanks for the nice note. I'm getting through it. It doesn't hurt really anymore, and the swelling has gone down a lot, but it's still a little bruised and I'm still in a cast and on crutches. I'm getting it re-x-rayed again next Tuesday, so hopefully they'll be able to tell me a little more then. It's been a little rough these past few weeks not being able to walk, print, unpack boxes, or drive by myself. There have been some amazing people (friends, volunteers, former clients, etc.) who have been coming by my shop frequently to help out, which has been pretty awesome. It's nice to have so much help and support.

I hope you're doing well! What's new on your side of the world?